Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes

As I mentioned in my previous post, my husband and I have resolved to eat lighter. Since giving up my Saturday morning pancakes is not an option, I whipped up this healthier version last weekend. They turned out fluffy and flavorful; I highly recommend this recipe, slightly modified from one on Cooking Light.


printable recipe
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes

yield: 12 pancakes (6 servings)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (optional, recommended if using blueberries)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (optional)


Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.


Heat a nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle. Sprinkle each pancake with a handful of blueberries, if using.


Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Serve with butter and syrup.

Linking to Fresh, Clean and Pure Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Heather, Pancakes are very dear to my heart too. Another tweak to get the lowest carbs is to use all whole wheat flour and soak (covered on the kitchen counter) in the buttermilk (no other ingredients) overnight. Add the remaining ingredients the next morning. The acid in the milk really changes the heavy wheat flavor into a delightful nuttiness. The texture is light and soft and you might not even notice that you are eating 100% whole wheat. I do a blender pancake batter with whole wheat berries too. Such fun!- Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. I love fruit in pancakes. As I can't have wheat I use buckwheat when I want mine 'healthy'. My favourite fruit to add is mashed stewed apples or banana. Blender pancakes are awesome. But I don't like mine so fluffy, prefer the thinner crepe like ones. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't really like to eat pancakes, but these and the suggestion of how to do them in all whole wheat by leaving the ww covered in the buttermilk and out overnight sounds terrific, makes me want to try it, just need to make a smaller batch since I am only one person here, thanks for getting me intersted in something I know will taste wonderful

    ReplyDelete