Monday, March 7, 2011

Menu Mama's Grasshopper Pie

It's that time of year again: leprechauns, clover, and shamrock shakes. I am craving mint chocolate! There have been lots of Grasshopper Pie recipes floating around the blogosphere (most made with Marshmallow Creme, blech) so I thought I would try my hand at my own version. I have to say, it turned out pretty fantastic.


printable recipe
Menu Mama's Grasshopper Pie

1 cup butter (2 sticks), divided
2 cups powdered sugar
1 can evaporated milk
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1 package of oreos (I used the mint ones)
1/2 gallon mint chocolate chip ice cream

In a large saucepan, heat up the sugar, milk, chocolate chips, and 1 stick of butter over medium heat.


Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and cook for 8 minutes.

Cool completely. The fastest way to do that is to fill your sink or a large bowl a few inches full of ice water and set the pot in it, being careful not to get water into the sauce.

Meanwhile, crush the oreos in a food processor. Or, if you're uncool like me, crush them with the bottom of a glass cup in a bowl.

Melt the other stick of butter and stir it into the oreos. Press the mixture into a deep pie pan or a 9x13 in baking dish. Place in refrigerator until firm.



Spread the ice cream over the oreo crust.


Pour the cooled chocolate sauce over the pie. Cover and freeze for several hours.



Cut into slices and devour!

2 comments:

  1. I am fighting my urge to go and eat an entire box of Thin Mints. I love mint and chocolate. This looks wonderful...and its not helping my craving go away, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven's sake alive this sounds horribly good! You know, I thought your FB fan page sounded familiar to me. lol Amanda pointed me your way this morning and being the absent minded person (this is due to 22 years of being a mom)I didn't make the connection until I clicked on your blog. Back to this sinfully delicious sounding dessert. I'm like so going to try this! But...I may wait a few months as I'm trying my darnest to loose a few unwanted pounds. :(

    New friends are always welcome to visit my family friendly blog!
    ~Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
    The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

    ReplyDelete